Middletown Church History
The recorded history of the Greek community of Middletown and Hamilton had its beginning in 1906 when the first immigrants settled here and began their struggle in a new land. They came from the Greek mainland, the Greek islands, and other Greek lands under foreign domination; they came from small villages and large cities; they had been farmers and artisans; many had had little formal education and could barely read or write; they spoke no English and knew little of life in America. And so the early settlers struggled to survive and to preserve the Greek spirit, their heritage, and their holy and cherished Greek fundamentals, which had been handed down from generations past.
Although no church or house of worship existed, the first priest arrived in 1923. Membership was small, the obstacles were great, but their enthusiasm led the parish to congregate in a rented room for church services. By 1931 the membership had grown to 92, and the Community of Sts. Constantine and Helen was officially organized, obtaining its Charter of Incorporation in March. That same year property at 1215 First Avenue was purchased, enabling the members to worship in a permanent house of God.
However, realizing that it must provide for the future needs of a growing parish, the Greek community began to lay plans for a new church building as early as 1947. By 1953 the first step in the construction of the present house of worship was taken when the property at 2500 Grand Avenue was selected. The parish launched a building fund drive; all Greek families in Butler County were asked to help. Ground was broken in June 1957, and the church was completed in December 1958. With the future in mind, property adjacent to the church was pur-chased in 1961. The church was officially consecrated in 1970.
Although various organizations of the church and the Greek community have assisted financially and physically to provide the needs of the church, the most successful project has been the annual church festival (Greekfest), which ran for 52 years.
Learn about our Patron Saints
Saints Constantine and Helen